Thursday, June 27, 2013

Change of Plans

     So it turns out there has been a change of plans! Yesterday around lunch time, my team and I were informed that we needed to leave Brazos Bend and head to Oklahoma City to help with tornado recovery efforts. Federal agencies are only slated to be in Oklahoma City until July 9, and we are needed to help with this transition period of federal agencies handing over relief and long term recovery efforts to local organizations. So we packed up yesterday, drove to Oklahoma today, and here I am!

     It was a little sad to leave Brazos Bend, especially on such short notice. We had finished a gravel project for them the day before, but yesterday morning (not yet knowing about disaster) got a bridge project going that we couldn't stay to finish. We also didn't get to say goodbye in person to everyone we worked with, or spend time with Fire 2, a team near Austin who was going to come visit us in just a few days.

     However, I am excited about this new project! It seems like it will be a whirlwind of change, travel and activity, which should help my last month of service go by very quickly. Tonight we are staying in a dorm at Oklahoma University, but tomorrow we will have to move into a gymnasium where we will set up cots. I don't know a lot about our work yet, but it seems we will work long days 6 days a week, and do mostly administrative work.  Tomorrow I will begin work at the Joint Field Office.

     It's funny how much can change in just 24 hours. Like my teammate Audra said, "it wouldn't be AmeriCorps without one last twist at the end!". This should be the last twist she's talking about... right? :) You never know.

     I'm not sure if my next housing will have wifi, but I will post updates when I can. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment